Drivers Licence

Persons originating from countries that have signed a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta can exchange their out-of-country driver’s license for an Alberta driver’s license if they are lawfully entitled to be in Canada and have taken up residence in Alberta.

It is the law in Alberta that a person must surrender any and all foreign driver’s licenses when they obtain any class of Alberta operator’s license. It is illegal in Alberta to hold any other driver’s license and an Alberta driver’s license at the same time.

Alberta has Reciprocal Licensing Agreements with the following countries in addition to all Canadian jurisdictions and territories:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Isle of Man
  • Japan
  • Northern Ireland
  • Republic of Korea
  • Scotland
  • Switzerland
  • The Netherlands
  • United States
  • Wales

Changing your driver’s license from another province?

You must provide the following:

  • Current driver’s license
  • Proof of status in Canada (passport or birth certificate or permanent residency card …)
  • Proof of residency in Alberta. (a letter from employer, long term lease agreement, staff ID card.)