Selling/Buying a Vehicle in Alberta:
To sell a vehicle in Alberta, you will complete a Bill of Sale. The buyer MUST keep the original copy and the seller should keep a copy for their records. THE SELLER MUST TAKE THEIR LICENSE PLATE as they are non-transferrable from one person to another. Do not let someone else drive away with your license plate.
To register a vehicle as the buyer you will be required to produce the original, signed Bill of Sale, valid insurance, and photo ID. In the event that there are multiple registrants, they must all be included on the bill of sale AND the insurance. We will need all registrants present to register the vehicle OR a completed Authorization for Vehicle Services form.
If you are registering a brand-new vehicle, you will require an original N.V.I.S. provided by the dealership. Any out-of-province vehicles will be required to pass an Out-of-Province inspection (see next).
Switching a vehicle to Alberta:
Your vehicle will be required to pass an out-of-province inspection by a certified Alberta mechanic in order to be registered in Alberta:
- Ask for an “Out-of-Province Request form” from an Alberta registry office using your proof of ownership/registration from previous province ($13.00).
- Bring the passing inspection report to a registry office within 14 days of completion to activate the vehicle in Alberta.
- Using your proof of ownership (original bill of sale or previous registration), matching and valid AB insurance, and valid photo ID we can register the vehicle and provide an AB license plate. Cost will vary based on your expiry month.
You can find a list of certified Alberta mechanics here. Please ensure you select “Out-of-Province Inspection”.
Cancelling an Alberta license plate:
All registrants of the plate being cancelled must be present with valid ID. If this is not an option, an Authorization for Vehicle Services is required to accompany the service. Registrant(s) may complete the License Plate Cancellation form ahead of time or in-office at the time of the service. The cost is $13.00 and, if applicable, a refund cheque for any remaining registration will be mailed to the registrant(s).
Authorization for Vehicle Services:
An Authorization for Vehicle Services form is required in the following two instances:
– any vehicle services being done by anyone other than the registrant/owner
– any jointly registered vehicle services being done by only one of the registrants/owners
Please ensure you have all other necessary documents to complete the service.