Switching your license to Alberta
– from another province in Canada
– from Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, the Netherlands, Switzerland or Taiwan
– from USA, the UK, Ireland or Isle of Man
– from any another country not listed
If your foreign license is not in English, you will be required to provide a Certified Translation. You will be surrendering your foreign license permanently at the time of the service. If you have lost your foreign license, you will be required to provide either a Letter of Confirmation or a Driver’s License History from that jurisdiction.
Knowledge testing & commercial licensing:
We provide knowledge testing for classes 2, 4, 6, 7, and airbrakes on a walk-in basis. All printed study guides are available for purchase in-office.
– click here to access the study guides for free
– click here to book a road test in Banff
– click here for instructions on getting a class 4 license
Remote driver’s license applications:
The following applicant types are acceptable for a remote license renewal/replacement:
- Canadian Armed Forces personnel and families stationed outside of Alberta.
- Students studying outside of Alberta.
- Albertans working outside of Alberta or on a temporary work visa for 1 year or less.
- Albertans vacationing outside of Alberta.
- Albertans temporarily outside of Alberta for other personal reasons (e.g., death or illness of a family member).
- Albertans who are medically homebound (in assisted living, extended nursing care facilities or hospitals).
Please read the instructions on the form carefully and include a copy of valid photo ID, valid non-photo ID, and proof of Alberta residency. We will provide instructions via e-mail for payment upon receipt of all necessary documents.
Remote driver’s license application form
Alberta driver’s abstracts:
There are three options for acquiring your Alberta driver’s abstract from outside of Alberta:
OPTION 1: order your abstract online with My Alberta Digital ID (MADI)
-Follow the link on our website under the “Online Services” tab
OPTION 2: someone in Alberta obtains your abstract on your behalf
-Fill out the Abstract Consent form in entirety, indicating who will be picking up the abstract on your behalf
-They will visit the office with your completed Consent form, their valid ID, and payment for abstract ($33.00 cash/debit)
-They will complete a Driver’s Abstract Statement of Intent form
-They will walk out of the office with your abstract and can get it to you by whatever means are most convenient
OPTION 3: mail in a notarized request for your abstract
-Fill out the Notarized Request for Personal Information in entirety. You must get this form and a copy of your valid ID notarized
-Mail your original, notarized documents, along with a self-addressed, prepaid Express envelope to the Banff Registry (PO Box 459, Banff, AB, T1L 1A6)
-Payment can be made by e-transfer or credit card – be sure to include a Canadian phone number on the notarized form so we can obtain payment information
If you would like to book a road test from our office (103-211 Bear St, Banff), book online through this website.